help wanted!…

02/02/2011 by Sarah Ritchie

What do you think would be some funky, interesting, sellable ideas for some paintings?

I intend to submit four paintings into an exhibition in June (and, possibly, a few more earlier in the year). The whole aim of this exhibition is to sell the paintings (rather than make any particular “artistic statement”, or create a series, etc). I am trying to think of some cool ideas as to what to paint.

I would love to hear your suggestions!

Advertisements

6 thoughts on “help wanted!…

1. leonabriggs says:

I think the pictures you have done in honor of your friends would sell very well! But, having seen some of your photographs of New Zealand, I would also think landscapes of your area would go well.
    I know whatever you paint, you will paint from the heart and it will be obvious. That’s what makes your pictures special and that’s what will make them sell–whatever the subject matter!

2. Sarah Ritchie says:

Thanks Leona! I appreciate your thoughts on this for me. I have not tried a landscape, but might be able to incorporate some iconic NZ birds, animals or flora. I will have a good think about that!

3. Jewels says:

Definitely do birds, native or otherwise! They are so true to life it would be a shame not to! I have some typical New Zealand chickens if you need a model *grin*

4. Sarah Ritchie says:

If you can train your NZ chickens to do a tui impression, you’re on!

5. Bas says:

Sarah you do beautiful work, I don’t think that the subject matters, as long as you have a connection with it, the resaults will be wonderful.

Two observations that I do have are that self promotion is as, if not more, important than the work itself. The artists that I see sell well are the ones who create a whole back story to themselves and their work.

The other is to think about how the work will occupy the space once it’s sold. I’ve seen people buy $20,000 works on the advice of their interiour designer.

6. Sarah Ritchie says:

Bas, those are some VERY valid points. I hadn’t actually thought about the end-space either.

It has been my suspicion (not being through the “traditional” route of art school, art gallery connections, and the like, that it is a “who you know” game in the art world. You are so right about the self-promotion. You have to be a sales person and a marketer as well as an artist!

Your thoughts

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s